Saturday 7 November 2015

NIGERIAN OWAMBE

What better day than a Saturday to attend a Nigerian wedding/OWAMBE? If you have never attended an OWAMBE then it should be on your must-do list. Why? Because Xingxang said so. You know that feeling you had when you were a child and it was time for the end of year party. Your parents must have bought you party clothes, shoes and bags to match. Sleeping the night before would be a problem because you dreamt of how you would showcase your new outfit and eat 'party' jollof rice. That was how I felt last night lol. I have not attended a wedding in Nigeria for almost 5 years and I was super excited. Lemme drop some picsure of my ghemghem to-match outfit.
The Ghen Ghen pose 

Operation show your shoe 
Trust some Nigerians with their lateness, me included. The wedding ceremony started by 10am but I left my house by 11.45am. How amazing? Spent 2 hours in traffic and arrived at the reception by 1.45pm. 9ja life no be beans or moi moi. 9ja traffic can make your miss your job interview or even your own wedding. We just had to divert to the reception because we were late comers and the church folast must have been saying he benediction. At least my on-fleek contouring and  make-up did not waste ooo.

Today blog was basically inspired by this quote I saw on my friends wall on Facebook.


I had to add my own colour theme 'morning fresh white'.

Another random moment that is related to the theme colour is the 'cake speech by the cake designer'. If you don't know what this is then ask your Nigerian friend. Nigeria MCs and Photographers are the highlight of a Nigerian OWAMBE. The MC for this wedding was a radio presenter who was funny and brought up some wedding games. Single folks please take note for future purpose.

Game 1: The name calling game. What name would you call your partner? Well you wouldn't believe what the man called his wife after she called him sweet heart. Please guess in 3 seconds... 1,2,3, time is up. Well he called her Brave heart no be fight we dey fight o lol

Games 2: The kiss your bride game. So you have to play the kiss your bride song and jump like a grasshopper towards your wife until she is within a kissable reach.

Games 3: The question game. I think this is a very popular game. Where the groom and the bride back each other and the MC would ask both the bride and groom questions. They will answers by raising up the appropriate shoe (male or female). For more details search google... it's my best friend.

Games 4: I left this for last because it is the best way to retrieve all the money you spent for the wedding. Na joke I dey joke o. The groom and bride or groom 1,000 naira  (approximately 3 pounds, my personal advice to Nigerians in diaspora please call a reasonable amount like 10 pounds or more lol). The person with the highest amount of money at the end of the day wins.

Final advice if you want to attend an OWAMBE you have to dress to impress. You have to show off oh if not you are on a long thing. Bring your all your phones, your tablet and snap picsure till you can snap no more lmao. Nigerian reception time has reduced. I could remember when I was 5 the reception used to last for 2-3 hours but now it's approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. I couldn't be more pleased to go home. To cap my excitement Man U won their match today. If you don't know. I'm a fake Man U. More on that topic some other time.


Good night
Xoxo
Xingyang

4 comments: